Use the Right Dishwasher Soap
Do not us gel packs in the dishwasher. We recommend compressed powder packs, liquid or powder detergents.
Take Out the Trash & Recycle
Be sure to take your trash to the on-site dumpster bins regularly. If grounds finds trash being stored on your patio, they’ll remove it at the cost of a $50/person fine. There are trash & recycling bins conveniently placed throughout the community – check out our map to find the one closest to your building.
has a 24/7 contract with MG, meaning that even if you park without a pass or in a fire lane for “30 seconds, just a minute, or run in real quick,” you run the risk of being towed at YOUR expense. Need a copy of the Parking Policy you signed at check-in? Just ask: .
Remember: Only items via fault OR neglect of the tenant result in a tenant charge.
Change Your Air Filter
Keep your AC & heat functioning at optimum performance. You need a fiberglass (blue, flat) filter. Please remove the filter that you have so that you can verify sizing. Do not use a pleated air filter, as they restrict air flow. These can be found at Rocking “R” Hardware for $2 or Home Depot for $4.
Pay Your Rent: Due 1st/Month Every Month
With the exception of your first months’ rent (your lease may not begin on the 1st/month), RENT IS ALWAYS DUE ON THE 1ST MONTH. Rent is late after the 1st. Our grace period extends through the 5th/month at 5pm. Late fees will be assessed at that time, which are 10% of the total monthly rent or $50 – whichever is greater. . Request your secure account number from .
Water & electric must be kept ON and in your name(s) for the duration of your lease term. If you’ll be gone for the summertime or winter break, there are breakers you can shut-off in an effort to conserve energy & keep your bills low while you are away! Visit to find out which. For those that choose to shut-off either of these utilities, a $50/person fine will result.
If you dare to shut-off your electric, let us tell you a cautionary tale… There once was a group of young ladies who shut-off their electric for the entire summer – 3 months! Maggots made themselves a home inside the controls of the fridge. The entire fridge needed to be replaced at a cost of $822! No one lived happily ever after.
There are 2 different sizes/types of light bulbs in your Mountain View Heights:
*Please note that appliance bulbs (microwave, oven, fridge, etc.) may vary. We recommend you remove the bulb and take with you to the home improvement store to ensure you purchase the correct bulb with the correct wattage.
If you’re unable to flush your toilet, please try to plunge it before submitting a work order. If maintenance finds that the toilet is functioning properly with the exception of the clog itself, you’ll be responsible for maintenance to plunge the toilet. As a friendly reminder: Please keep in mind that flushing paper towels, feminine products, etc. WILL cause the toilet to clog.
If a large water puddle forms when you shower, or in your sink when brushing your teeth – your drain may be clogged. Please try an over-the-counter drain clearer first (such as Draino). If maintenance finds that the drain is clogged from hair, for example, you’ll have to foot the bill.
Keeping your apartment pest-free is a less common occurrence, but worth mentioning! If an issue arises with pests in your apartment, please attempt to treat the pests yourself before submission of a work order. If you would like our recommendation on a product, don’t hesitate to ask. Often times, these work orders result in tenant responsibly. For example: Maintenance finds that an ant infestation in your apartment is due to a tasty, sweet fruit punch split on the kitchen floor. An extermination treatment for this issue would result in tenant responsibility.
If you hear a faint chirping in your apartment, you aren’t going mad! Chances are – you need to replace the smoke detector batteries in 1 or more of the smoke detectors in your apartment. These take a 9V battery. Maintenance personnel completed a smoke detector test prior to your move-in (new batteries were installed; detectors were tested). If the batteries die during your lease term, be sure to promptly change them. Rest assured that the smoke detectors are indeed backed up electronically between the time the chirping begins and the time you change the battery. Unsure how to open the smoke detector to reach the battery? Let us know! Safety is our #1 priority, and fire safety is VERY important to us.
The section of your lease provides invaluable information on payments, keys, maintenance and much more. We get a lot of questions about what you can and cannot alter in your apartment. Below is an excerpt from the Rules & Regulations that will answer many of these questions. If you have any additional questions, please contact us!
[First & Last Name]
[Building #] Campus View Circle/Davis Mills Drive/Clubhouse Court, [Apartment #]
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Are you missing a package? We do not accept tenant packages/mail at the office. That being said, there are a couple different possibilities…
• If your order was shipped via USPS, they normally place the package (if it fits) inside your mailbox. If the package does not fit, they will leave it at your door. Sometimes undeliverable orders are sent back to USPS’ main Harrisonburg office, which is located on Route 11 (3811 South Main Street; Harrisonburg, VA 22801). Have you checked there?
• If your order is shipped via UPS or Fedex, they would either leave the package at your door (if no signature is required) or have one of your roommates sign for the package. Fedex often offers residents the opportunity to pick-up shipments in the evening from their – information on this option would’ve been left on a sticky note on your door.
• Do you have a tracking number? If so, have you called UPS, Fedex or USPS directly to locate your order?
You’ll often receive emails from the Matchbox Realty Team, including your Property Manager & his Leasing Assistants but also from our Accounting Department Staff, Director of Marketing, Director of IT, Front Desk Receptionist & others! OUR INTENTIONS ARE NOT TO SPAM YOU; OUR GOAL IS TO PROVIDE IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR OBLIGATIONS & OUR COMMUNITY.
Examples of email notifications you may receive during your tenancy are:
• The Official Renewal Notice: We would love for you to say with us year after year, so we always offer our current residents the first priority to renew. If you miss the deadline, you may lose your apartment.
• Community Events: Throughout the year, we’ll host a handful of community events for you & your friends. In the past, we’ve had a grab-n-go breakfast at the bus stop, an NFL game showing on a 50 foot projector in our clubhouse & a JMU tailgate. These events are always free & we always have d-e-l-icious food. Win-win! (Can we put past community event flyers with zoom outlined in gold under this?)
• Past Due or Auto-Pay Notifications: If you paid rent online (or if you NEED to), Accounting will keep you in the loop.
• Showing or Inspection Notices: For any non-emergency entry, we’ll provide 24+ hours’ notice. Seasonal inspections include Winter Inspections (December) & Furniture Inspections (April).
Your lease, especially the Rules and Regulations section, outline all of your responsibilities. All of these can be summed up by the Golden Rule: “Treat others as you want to be treated.” This includes your dwelling - treat it as if it were your own valuable piece of real estate that you want to last forever. Keep your place looking nice year round. After all, it’s much easier to clean up once a week than once a year right before you move out.
Treat others as you want to be treated.